[Ads-l] questionable "lunch" v. 1627

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Jan 6 13:24:43 UTC 2015

EEBO returns a "lunch" in its transcription of

Hawkins, William, d. 1637

Apollo shrouing composed for the schollars of the free-schoole of Hadleigh in Suffolke. And acted by them on Shrouetuesday, being the sixt of February, 1626. , London : Printed for Robert Mylbourne, [1627]
Date: 1627
Bib name / number: STC (2nd ed.) / 12963
Bib name / number: Greg, II, 414. /
Physical description: [8], 96 p.
Copy from: Library of Congress

page 24:

"Comp.

Is not the houre come appointed by mee to giue accesse and interviw to Sir Orgolio?

Imp.

Yes sir, the sunne and clocke sayes so. (And my clocke tels me it is breakefast time. If I could tell where to lunch.)"

But this may be a mistranscription for "lurch."

Stephen Goranson

http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/