[Ads-l] Still Another Antedating of "Lunch"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 6 16:55:57 UTC 2015

lunch (OED, n.2 2.a., 1829)

1797 _Oracle and Public Advertiser_ (London) 18 Apr. (British Newspapers 1600-1950)  JACKY BULL'S DIARY. ... Had a nice race on the road, from the Bridge, for about three miles, and then stopped at Low Layton to breakfast ... We lost our way on the Forest, and it was some considerable time before we reached the _Bald faced Stag_, where the stables were so crowded, that we were obliged to hang our horses at the stable wall until we got a lunch before the Stag was turend out.  We had some broiled bacon and bread, two mugs of ale, and a glass of cherry brandy.

Fred Shapiro