[Ads-l] growler/growlette

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 6 17:33:32 UTC 2015

It's generally agreed on tge craft beer scene that "growler" is reserved
for the 64 oz./ 1/2 gal / 2 liter glass or metal container and, in some
states, like Florida, that allow it, 1 gal glass jugs. It has to be
resealable, for beer purposes, thus is usually a pop-top (a.k.a. flip-top
or swing-top) or screw-cap.

It is also generally agreed that there's no unique agreed-upon name for the
small containers. Growlette is mildly popular but is often met with
derision as "effeminate". "Half-growler" and "small growler" are more
popular. The standard avoidance convention suggest just listing "growler"
and specifying the capacity. I believe, I've posted links to Beer Advocate
threads on the subject in not-too-distant past.


On 10:05pm, Mon, Jan 5, 2015 Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      growler/growlette
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> -------------------
> Haggen's in Bellingham has kombucha growlers (64 oz) and growlettes (32
> oz) f=
> or sale. Buy the growler/growlette or bring your own and fill up.=20
> Sent from my iPhone=
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list