[Ads-l] growler/growlette

Tue Jan 6 19:43:02 UTC 2015

Thank you for the follow-up. I didn't recall mention of a growlette or
see it in the archives just now, though your post
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2013-July/127851.html)
and others' posts on growlers stuck in my mind when I saw the kombucha
growler fill station at Haggen's yesterday. I don't see any links in the
ADS posts I looked at, though I might have missed it :)

Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_bottle#Growler) and
Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/growler) agree that 64 ounces
is the most common growler size, saying they come in smaller sizes, too,
and Wikipedia says that the 32-ounce size may be called a howler (?<
half growler). The article also says that growlers are for beer.

However, Google shows that beer is not the only thing that now goes into
a growler. For example, "cider growler" has a number of hits,
particularly WRT to Washington State, where the governor signed a bill
to allow people to buy hard cider in growlers last year
(http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2013&bill=6442).

Non-alcoholically, Googling on "kombucha growler" shows that Haggen's is
not unique in extending the term:

"Kombucha fill stations are taking over Idaho, and we couldn't be more
excited!"
(http://hummkombucha.com/boiseweekly-humm-kombucha-growler-fill-station/)

Other non-alcoholic uses:
"coconut water growler" at
http://media.wholefoodsmarket.com/news/whole-foods-market-to-open-its-doors-in-danbury-ct-may-17-2013.

"soda growler" at
http://bierwerks.com/bierwerks-products/currently-on-tap.html
http://www.yelp.com/biz/montrose-beer-and-soda-croton-on-hudson
http://www.lafayettebrewingco.com/food.html

There are some hits for "water growler," but a casual look doesn't
reveal anything that seems very convincing that there are "water
growler" services.

It seems the size, material (ceramic or glass) and jar shape are the
critical elements of a growler.

Going through the Google hit pages for "growlette," there are just 239
hits, some with quotation marks. Also, "1-gallon growler" gets about 75
hits and "one-gallon growler" gets 53.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home