[Ads-l] shenanegin antedated (?) to 1854

Mon Jul 6 06:12:30 UTC 2015

No antedatings, but a few citations suggesting the word is from miners
in California. Also, a couple of toponyms, which might be where the
original shenanigan happened, or which might be named after the word was
in currency. Last, a person "commonly called Shenanigan."

1. http://bit.ly/1S1NGHC
Dictionary of Americanisms: A Glossary of Words and Phrases Usually
Regarded ...
By John Russell Bartlett
Google dated: 1877
Lists "shenanigan" as a word in California and Yale College

2. http://bit.ly/1S1NUyz
Americanisms: The English of the New World
By Maximilian Schele de Vere
Google dated: 1872
Lists "shenannigan" as "probably a purely fictitious word ... frequently
heard in the South and the West, and denoting groundless bragging for
the purpose of getting the better of another."

3. http://bit.ly/1ffN852
Camp and Cabin: Sketches of Life and Travel in the West
Rossiter Worthington Raymond
Googled dated: 1880
("Shenannigan" is the miner's term for humbug.)

4. http://bit.ly/1Tfmp72
The War of the Rebellion: Formal reports, both Union and Confederate, of
the ....
United States. War Dept, Robert Nicholson Scott
Google dated: 1971
"May 15, 1864, Sergeant Byrnes with a detachment of four men returned to
camp from Shinanigan Mountain, having scouted on Kushka's for five days
without discovering any traces of the Indians.... between Bear River and
the North Fork of Mattole."

5. http://bit.ly/1KJoNA5
Blog comment by Laura Cooskey
Buck Miner's "The Origin of Mattole" has a story on p. 103 about the
name of Bunnel Prairie Creek. He says Mr. Bunnel (no first name) was the
blacksmith in a location between Upper Mattole and Honeydew who took in
the orphaned survivor of the Squaw Creek massacre, who then, via Mike
Schallard of Shenanigan Ridge, ended up in Bear River area adopted by
the Morrison family.

6. http://bit.ly/1IDPPc7
Shenanigan Campground, perhaps in Yuba County, CA

7. http://bit.ly/1H2mmE9
Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zool?ogy at Harvard College, Volume 6
Front Cover
Harvard University. Museum of Comparative Zoology
Google dated: 1880
Immediate opposite Spanish Dry Diggings, on the other side of the river,
at a place known as Shenanigan Hill, ....

8. http://bit.ly/1HGQdpt
Annual Report
U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey
Google dated: 1911
Chaparral Mountain (Humboldt County, Cal. A. F. R., 1871).--On what is
called the Shenanigan Hill, a peak of the Punta Gorda Ridge.

9. http://bit.ly/1giFZ4c
Congressional Series of United States Public Documents, Volume 2027
U.S. Government Printing Office
Google dated: 1882
I seized from the man commonly called Shenanigan, on barrel of mash, ....

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home