[Ads-l] shenanegin antedated (?) to 1854

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 6 11:23:23 UTC 2015

Hitherto secret:

1856, in _Calif. Historical Society Qly._  ix (1930) 62: Tryed to play
chinanigan but couldn't make it rip.

1859, in Hafen & Hafen _Reports from Colo._ 195: They are...adepts at
wire-working, or "shenanaging,"

I.e., tried to pull a fast one but couldn't make it fly.

JL