[Ads-l] RES: redshirt (UNCLASSIFIED)

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Wed Jun 3 23:01:07 UTC 2015

Scotty wore/wears a red shirt and that character is pretty long lived. But,
in the latest Star Trek, Chris Pine's Kirk needs Chekov to take over
engineering and he tells Chekov "go put on a red shirt," to which Chekov
gives Kirk an odd look. Whether they are inside-joking the rep of the red
shirt, dunno.
DAD

Poster:       Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: redshirt (UNCLASSIFIED)
---

re redshirt in Star Trek: I think the real point is that they are not
credited by name in the cast. The death thing is sometimes true, sometimes
not; instead they are filler in the corridors of the Enterprise.

DanG

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) <
william.d.mullins18.civ at mail.mil> wrote:

> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill CIV (US)" <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL>
> Subject:      redshirt (UNCLASSIFIED)

---

http://nypost.com/2015/05/24/inside-the-bizarre-life-of-an-upper-east-side-=
> housewife/
>

> _Ukiah [CA] Daily Journal_ 2 Jan 1991 p 5 col 4
> "Redshirting, or holding children back from entering school to be sure
> they=
> 'll be academically strong later, is a practice that started in private
> sch=
> ools on the East Coast."
>
> Melitta Cutright _Growing Up Confident_ NY:Doubleday, 1992. p 187
> "Other parents, believing that older students are always more successful,
> a=
> re electing on their own to "redshirt" their children in hopes of giving
> th=
> em an advantage over other children."
>

> _USA Weekend_ 5 Sep 1993 p 16 col 2
> "With a growing emphasis on school performance, more and more parents are
> h=
> olding their kids back from kindergarten for a year.  They think
> "redshirti=
> ng," named after a similar practice among college students, gives kids an
> e=
> dge."
>

> I also note that neither the OED nor the OED SF project doesn't include
> the=
>  _Star Trek_ sense of redshirt:  A person of minor importance who will
> like=
> ly get killed.  (But it is in _Brave New Worlds_)
> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedShirt
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(character)
>

> Dirk Hayhurst _Out of My League: A Rookie's Survival in the Big Leagues_
> NY=
> : Citadel Press, 2012 p 119
> "Now I felt a lot like one of the red shirts in Star Trek:  nameless,
> facel=
> ess, and the first to die."
>

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.