[Ads-l] Bentley on "caucus, " as perhaps from "Cooke's House, " 1821

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Mon Jun 29 13:59:53 UTC 2015

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in mentioning that diary edition. Was the 1821 quoted text not clear about the proposed "corruption" of "Cooke's house" into "caucus"? (Maybe even "Cooke's" by itself, as noted before, could have served.)
Would those involved have known Chickahominy?
In any case, next I'll try for an interlibrary loan of Dr. William Bentley (1756-1817) [sic, -1819] minister of church & master of words. Also some notes about changes in words from 1756-1960. by Fred A. Gannon (Salem, Mass, 1960)--or has someone else read that?

Stephen Goranson
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET>
Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2015 12:19 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Bentley on "caucus," as perhaps from "Cooke's House," 1821

Although Bentley attended many caucuses and used the word frequently, no supposition about its original seems to appear in the 4-volume Diary published by the Essex Institute in 1905--1914 (and republished 1962).  [GBooks, looking at the various hits.]

Has anybody commented on the probably-obvious pronunciation similarity?  COOKes' hoUSe  ->  "cooksus" (H elided)  ->  "cookus"  ->  "caucus" (crows cawing?

I am about to read John K. Alexander's "Samuel Adams ..." (2011 version) to see if he supposes anything about "caucus" in Sam Adams Sr.'s time.

Joel