[Ads-l] The internet of things? More like, the internet of snitches. Now on the Web of Language

Baron, Dennis E debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Mon Mar 16 04:42:51 UTC 2015

The internet of things? More like, the internet of snitches. Now on the Web of Language: http://bit.ly/1HV8Eoj <http://t.co/iilhzhGlSH>

We call it the internet of things, but it’s really the internet of snitches. These devices in our cars, refrigerators, and DVRs regularly track and report not just their status, but our status as well: what we’re doing with the devices, and where. It’s an indirect report, to be sure, but it erodes our privacy all the same. Now, two new web-enabled gadgets— a TV and a doll—directly record and report what we say, which is the very definition of snitching, and our ebook readers, which have been around a bit longer, can even peek inside our heads to expose what we think.

Read the full post on the Web of Language: bit.ly/1HV8Eoj <http://t.co/iilhzhGlSH>