[Ads-l] "dad bod" ---

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 20 00:50:04 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 7:51 PM, Joel Berson wrote:

> ... must be quite common, but I'd not heard or seen it before until twice
> in the last two days. In print, in today's "Dustin" strip, on the sleeping
> dad's newspaper.
>
> Google Web about 647,000 hits. Earliest in UrbanDictionary 2015?
> Google Books is a mystery, but I think no hits. Further results I
> leave to those really interested.

Popularized online last spring, usu. as "dadbod" (noted by JL on the
list in May). Mark Peters called it a WOTY contender at the time...

http://www.vocabulary.com/articles/dictionary/dadbod-a-word-that-let-itself-go-all-over-the-internet/

Mark notes that UD takes it back to 2009.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dad+bod&defid=4298607

--bgz