[Ads-l] Origin of exclamation Great Scott discussed at Slate

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Wed Oct 21 18:45:43 UTC 2015

> Today Forrest Wickman at Slate thoughtfully explored the origin of the
> exclamation "Great Scott". Jesse Sheidlower, Michael Quinion, Fred
> Shapiro, and Garson O'Toole and others were mentioned / acknowledged.The
> character Doc Brown used the expression in the movie series "Back to the
> Future".

Thanks, Garson, for pointing Forrest Wickman to my piece among others.
Mine doesn't include your discovery of 2011 because it was written a
decade beforehand. Time for another update, the third this week of a piece
as the result of findings by ADS-L members. You're wearing me out ...

--
Michael Quinion
World Wide Words