[Ads-l] Help reading a 1721 Boston newspaper

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Sep 14 03:58:37 UTC 2015

--

Me, I can't actually see the text in question.

Why not "bombast" [adjective]?

(I guess this adjective is no longer usual. To check whether it was used
in the period in question, one can search for (e.g.) <<"the most
bombast">>, incidentally at the same time maybe somewhat distinguishing
"adjective" from "attributive noun".)

Incidentally, I see the sentence in question mentioned in Perry Miller's
"The New England Mind" (Google Books: search for (e.g.) <<bombast "loose
wild" "perry miller">>).

-- Doug Wilson