[Ads-l] "a nice name for a nasty thing"

Tue Apr 12 19:23:22 UTC 2016

LH: In modern times, Alan Bennett's 2004 play "The History Boys" has
an instance: "Only a euphemism is a nice way of saying something
nasty." (Match visible in Google Books Preview).

Here are two pertinent citations from a preliminary search. Please
double-check for typos and other errors before use.

Date: July 23, 1880
Periodical: The Wheeling Daily Intelligencer
Quote Page 2
Newspaper Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
Article: The Scene of Wednesday's Catastrophe--The Great Tunnel
Underneath the Hudson
Database: Chronicling America

http://1.usa.gov/25XRiEh
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84026844/1880-07-23/ed-1/seq-2.pdf

[Begin excerpt]
The borings determined that the bottom of the river was a silt,—a nice
name for nasty mud, of a blue-black color in this instance,—growing
more and more tenacious the further it was penetrated.
[End excerpt]