[Ads-l] Dialect clash: _shlong_

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 21 16:21:32 UTC 2016

And as the OED notes (and I’m sure HDAS would have), the ‘membrum virile’ sense of “s(c)hlong” is itself a metaphorical extension (well, I’m folding that part in) of the German cognate of the Dutch word referenced in the Altoona piece:

< Yiddish shlang, < Middle High German slange (German Schlange) serpent

LH