[Ads-l] New to me: _all the sudden_

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 10 10:17:45 UTC 2016

I've always heard "all of a sudden" and never "all the sudden".

Tom Zurinskas,
Originally SWConn 20 yrs,  college Tenn 3,  work NJ  33,  now FL 14.
truespel phonetics free converter and  tutorials - http://truespel.com

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2016 3:51 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: New to me: _all the sudden_

Topic of a letter of complaint to USAA, whose membership is restricted to
present or former members of the U.S. military:

"_All the sudden_ credit card payments disappear"

But lots of Google discussion: about 2,100,000 results, e.g.

"all the sudden"?
https://www.englishforums.com/English/AllTheSudden/vhpgv/post.htm
"all the sudden"? - Learn English Online, Teach English<https://www.englishforums.com/English/AllTheSudden/vhpgv/post.htm>
www.englishforums.com
Some of the examples are of the form "all the sudden attention". The BBC entries seem to be blog and forum postings (with other grammatical errors) rather than ...

Tonight I heard (or thought I heard) a Scottish woman in a film using "all
the sudden" the way I would use "all of a sudden" -- that is, meaning
"suddenly."
--
-Wilson
-----