[Ads-l] "Crying Wolof"

Z Rice zrice3714 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 9 11:17:13 UTC 2016

AAV
bag:
1) habit; custom; tradition; way; way of life; something one does
habitually; someone thing ONE ENJOYS
2) one’s own skill, TALENT, or area of expertise; one’s job; one’s THING
(in the song that you mention, he's saying he has a new “thing”...and he
mentions several trendy dances or “new things” in the song. However, I do
not rely on songs to dig my own language...it is my birthright and I
understand it naturally)

Wolof
ba:x 'habit'; 'custom'; 'tradition'; 'a traditinally done thing' (Wolof
standard orthography: baax g-)
baːxɔː 'to possess one's own gift' (DFW); 'to have (something) as a
customary activity or practice' (Wolof standard orthography: baaxoo)

I don’t like to rely on dictionaries, for understanding my own language
however, Mahmoud El-Kati, a renowned native African-American historian and
professor from Minnesota published The Hiptionary. In this book, he defines
“bag” as follows:

AAV
the thing(s) that you do, value, or believe; things one values or lives
by;  part of your personality

Let's compare that with Wolof:

Wolof
mbaːxɛːl 'a moral value'....ultimately from Wolof baːx 'habit'; 'custom';
'tradition'; 'a traditionally done thing' (Wolof standard orthography: baax
g-); Cf. Wolof baːx 'morals (of a nation)' (Wolof standard orthography:
baax y-)

This is why “bag” also means for us, a “moral code” or “value”

We have to stop selling the myth that AAV is mutually intelligible with
so-called Standard English, a myth strongly promoted by linguist John
McWhorter. This exchange we're having is simple enough to illustrate that
the two languages are NOT necessarily mutually intelligible, requiring
code-switching on the part of native African-Americans to be fully and
properly understood.