[Ads-l] New to me: cybersquatting; typosquatting

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 23 05:18:10 UTC 2016

Cybersquatting (also known as domain squatting), according to the United
States federal law known as the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act,
is registering, trafficking in, or using an Internet domain name with bad
faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to
someone else.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting

Typosquatting, also called URL hijacking, a sting site, or a fake URL, is a
form of cybersquatting and, possibly, brandjacking, which relies on
mistakes such as typographical errors made by Internet users when inputting
a website address into a web browser. [I.e. you will regret it, if you
press the key on google.om. According to Mac Informer, "If you're trying to
visit a site and type .om instead of .com, chances are pretty good that
you'll end up in the back alleys of the Internet."]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typosquatting
--
-Wilson
-----