[Ads-l] Garbling (Re: on national grammar day)

Benjamin Barrett mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 23 05:43:52 UTC 2016

There have always been problems on the ADS list with garbled characters. I looked on the Linguist List but didn’t see this issue addressed. It seems that some people don’t have this problem, but it’s really frustrating for me to try to figure out which garblings are quotation marks, which are accented Latin letters and which are from other languages. Even equal signs come to me as garbled characters. I generally just muddle through, though I can always go to the website to find posts without the garbling.

Dennis Baron’s posts are even more problematic as they are 100 percent garbled for at least those of us who receive the other sorts of garblings. Again, you can get his postings without the garbling on the website.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA