[Ads-l] Throwing money at X

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 16 19:36:07 UTC 2016

The OED3 entry for "money" includes this cite:

1972   N.Y. Times 15 Dec. 46/4   President Nixon is employing a quite
misleading phrase when he states that ‘throwing money at social problems
does not solve them’.

Barry Popik has a lot more on his site -- in 1961, Republican Senator
Kenneth Keating was quoted as saying, "Too often our Washington reflex is
to discover a problem and then to throw money at it, hoping that somehow it
will go away”:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/throw_money_at_a_problem_washington_reflex

The expression "throw good money after bad" (and variants thereof) dates
back to the 17th century.