[Ads-l] infantry (count noun)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 16 23:59:12 UTC 2016

OED has one ex., from 1605 - which it neglects to define or describe.

2014 Andrew D. Kaufman _Give War and Peace a Chance_  (N.Y.: Simon &
Schuster) 210  : A fortified French encampment being ambushed at dawn
by a Russian infantry in the middle of war is not, and never will be,
a magic kingdom.

Prof. Kaufman is "an internationally recognized Russian literature
scholar at the University of Virginia...[and] a featured Tolstoy
expert at Oprah.com."

P.S.: This use of _ambush_, v., isn't in OED at all. I confess I can't
tell whether it sounds right or wrong: 'to attack by stealth, as under
cover of darkness.'

P.P.S.: OED also lacks the popular journalistic  "ambush interview" (GB: 1981).

JL