[Ads-l] Bermuda shorts; Jamaica shorts (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 23 16:56:18 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) <
william.d.mullins18.civ at mail.mil> wrote:

> Jamaica shorts: OED has 1969

That's amazing! By 1949, I already knew the alleged difference between the
two styles of shorts: Jamaica shorts are shorter than Bermuda shorts. I've
never had a reason to verify this claim, so...

Youneverknow.

BTW, what about the Bermuda _skirt_? According to Google Images, this term
encompasses "numerous of" styles, these days. However, in the late '40's,
the Bermuda skirt was a kind of flared, prehistoric miniskirt that was so
short that its hem reached only to the top of the knee!!! In the era of the
New Look, this was *literally* a traffic-stopping display of femininity
bordering on public indecency - although the article of women's clothing
that, years later, came to be known as "short shorts" was totally
commonplace and perfectly all right, unlike the situation today.

[
http://filmingcops.com/new-law-will-let-cops-arrest-women-for-wearing-too-short-shorts/
]

Possibly as a consequence of this effect on the viewing public, the era of
the original Bermuda skirt was as short <har! har!> as the life of the
mayfly.

--
-Wilson
-----