[Ads-l] material on "is is", "double is", etc.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 19 05:30:53 UTC 2016

Coppock and Staum (2004) argue against a “silent what” analysis on the
grounds that it cannot explain the presence of is in sentences like (10),
which they take to be of the same species as the double-IS construction:

10) That can’t be a very welcome outcome, is that rates will now rise.

I'm an is-is speaker - somebody pointed it out to me; naturally, I was
unaware of it - and, FWIW, (10) strikes me as just ungrammatical, even as
just an underlying representation. I realize that I'm about a
quarter-century behind contemporary syntactic theory and might feel
differently about it, were I sufficiently hip. But, as things stand, (10)
is "unreal, and I ain't going for it," as Richard Pryor used to say.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu>
wrote:

> An announcement on my blog:
>
> https://arnoldzwicky.org/2016/11/18/the-isis-files/
>
> of a publicly available resource about this syntactic variant in English.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain