[Ads-l] Notable Quotations of the Year Appeal

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 20 22:01:23 UTC 2016

It's that time of year again.  I have only a couple of weeks more to finalize my list of the notable quotations of the year, and would welcome input.  The criteria are quotations that are famous, or important, or particularly revealing of the spirit of our times rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable.  This year the competition among political quotations is truly intense, with a plenitude of memorable quotes from you-know-who.  I do, however, desperately want some nonpolitical quotes from fields such as popular culture, entertainment, sports, business, science, technology, etc.  I also desperately want some ridiculous quotes from Democrats to give the list some balance.

Below is my current list of candidates.  Comments on which of these are most notable, or which of them are not so notable, and especially suggestions of additional quotations would be most welcome.  Note that quotes from December 2015 may be eligible.  Internet memes can be considered if they are very popular.

Fred Shapiro

TRUMP

I alone can fix it.

Russia ... I hope you're able to find the 30.000 emails.

I think I've made a lot of sacrifices ...

Second Amendment people.

I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any votes.

That makes me smart.

Grab them by the p----.

I'll keep you in suspense.

[I'll accept the election results] If I win.

Such a nasty woman.

Why can't we use nuclear weapons?

I've been treated very unfairly by this judge.  Now, this judge is of Mexican heritage.

I know words.  I know the best words.

H. CLINTON

Basket of deplorables.

Delete your account.

You need both a public and a private position.

A man you can bait with a tweet ...

CRUZ

Vote your conscience.

PAUL RYAN

Textbook definition of a racist comment.

PAUL LEPAGE

Drug dealers coming to Maine and impregnating young, white girls.

STEVE BANNON

Darkness is good.  Dick Cheney.  Darth Vader.  Satan.  That's power

KHIZR KAHN

Have you read the Constitution? ... You have sacrificed nothing and no one.

LETTER FROM 50 GOP NATIONAL SECURITY EXPERTS

Quote about Trump.

JOHN BOEHNER

[Ted Cruz is] Lucifer in the flesh.

MICHELLE OBAMA

When they go low, we go high.  [May actually be pre-2016 quote by Barack Obama]