[Ads-l] "drown [like] kittens/puppies"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Thu Oct 13 13:04:01 UTC 2016

I can speak from (sad) personal experience that drowning kittens actually
happens.  In a farm I visited as a child, when cats littered, the excess kittens
were drowned immediately.  Sad but true.  It was looked on as an expeditious
mode of euthanasia, and really, how else do you kill a kitten?  Vets were
expensive.  This would be in the late fifties (Stirlingshire), so I don't know
if it still happens.

I imagine the same thing might have happened, though probably not so often, with
dogs.  lf a bitch in a foxhound pack mated with and unknown mut,  the offspring
would be valueless, and would be drowned.

I can't think, offhand, of any other animals who it would make (commercial)
sense to treat in this fashion.

A kinder variant no doubt still takes place in overcrowded Animal Shelters.
 Strange (or perhaps not) that (if I'm not mistaken) the protocols for the
lethal injection of animals are stricter than those for (some) humans.

Then there's the National Lampoon cover with a picture of a dog with a gun
pointed at its head, and the caption (I quote roughly, from memory): "Subscribe
today, or the puppy dies."

Robin