[Ads-l] "drown [like] kittens/puppies"

Thu Oct 13 13:52:22 UTC 2016

Searches in EEBO and GB suggest that "drown like whelps" is in a play
titled "The Double Marriage. A Tragedy" which was performed circa
1619-22. This is later than the desired target date, but it is useful
to have multiple examples showing precise phrases and vocabulary, I
think.

The EEBO match occurs in the Beaumont/Fletcher First Folio, 1647, but
the details in EEBO are not visible to me (as a non-subscriber).

Searches in GB and Internet Archive reveal the following lines:

https://archive.org/stream/fiftycomediestra00beau#page/100/mode/2up/search/drown

[Begin excerpt]
It were the meritorious death I wish for,
But we must hang or drown like Whelps.
[End excerpt]

Garson