[Ads-l] "drown [like] kittens/puppies"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 14 00:39:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 9:52 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> whelp

For some reason, _whelp_ replaces _welt_ in BE. After I discovered what
_whelp_ meant in sE, it took literally dekkids of pondering to winkle out
what the word might be in sE. Even  though I early - or should that be the
Briticism, "early on"? - found literary instances of "welt" where I would
have written "whelp" and the use of "whelp"where I would have used "puppy,"
the fact that I pronounce wh- as [hw] and not as [w] turned out to be a
serious impediment to my making the connection; [hw]el[p] is a long way
from [w]el[t].

--
-Wilson
-----