[Ads-l] OT: Re: "slave"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri Sep 2 11:07:29 UTC 2016

Joel,

I was expecting that you would bring up that in the Am. Rev. War that
the British offered African slaves their freedom if they fought on their
side, against the Continentals. I heard a bit on NPR from a Morgan State
U prof. that that is what FSK was referencing in that verse. Now,
whether that offer was still being used, or whether those soldiers were
still in the British Army during The War of 1812, I can't recall.

---Amy West