[Ads-l] Antedating (?) Joe Soap

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 4 18:44:00 UTC 2016

The revue "Oh, What a Lovely War!" (1963) included improvised songs sung by
British troops in WW1. And, supposedly, only such songs.

One of these is "Forward, Joe Soap's Army," easily findable online.  To the
obvious hymn tune.

I can't find an earlier appearance of the song.  (Decades ago I was able to
find the sources of - IIRC - every other song in the show.)

JL