[Ads-l] Antedating (?) Joe Soap

Sun Sep 4 19:00:14 UTC 2016

Here is an instance in England of "Joe Soap" in 1878 employed as a
pseudonym or handle for a person whose real name was unknown.

Date: September 21, 1878
Newspaper: The Leeds Times
Newspaper Location: West Yorkshire, England
Article: Local & District: Huddersfield
Quote Page 5, Column 3
Database: britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

[Begin excerpt]
A man whose real name is unknown, but who is known in the district as
"Joe Soap," had on Tuesday evening crossed a field near Meltham, to
get to Bingley Quarry, but in the dusk, mistaking his position, he
fell into the quarry, and was killed.
[End excerpt]

Garson