[Ads-l] The NY Times prints "nigger" ...

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 14 23:29:50 UTC 2016

1. A stupid or worthless person. Obs.

1908 Kenneth McGaffey _The Sorrows of a Show Girl_ (Chicago: J. I. Austen)
17: Some old pappy guy out in Chi....  I don't know who or what this old
wop is that made this crack.

2. An Italian.

1912 Rex Beach _The Net_  (N.Y.: Harper) 154: Do you see that...wop next to
Cesar Maruffi?

1913 _Saturday Eve. Post_ (March 25) 10: He had eaten...a banana snatched
from the stand of a somnolent "wop."

[Etc.]

(Also, any person of Southern or Central European descent; the Italian
language.)

JL