[Ads-l] The NY Times prints "nigger" ...

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Thu Sep 15 00:16:43 UTC 2016

Jon,

In HDAS, you finger O. Henry (d. 1910) for "kike" [lateish use -- your earliest
example is 1888, with the O.H. cite from 1905] --any chance he used "wop" as
well?  He certainly dealt with the characters, even if he didn't use the word.
 I'm thinking of one particular story which turns on the idea that wops use
knives, whereas Upstanding American Boys use their fists [and hey, that
particular spin could, before and outside America, go back to Walter Scott's
"The Two Drovers", where the wop figure is a teuchter {though that Highly
Offensive Racially Coded Term isn't, I think, used by Scott himself} and the UAB
is an Englishman].

But with 220 stories (at least), I'm reluctant to revisit O. Henry just to find
out.  Took me enough trouble years ago, pre-google, to track down the Cisco Kid.

[For anyone who's interested, he first appears in "The Caballero's Way" and
there, he ain't nothing like his later televisual reincarnation as the Robin
Hood of the Old West.  Well, in one sense he is, if you go back to the versions
of the Merry Outlaw of Sherwood Forest as written in the early seventeenth
century, before he was ameliorated by the Romantics.]

Best,

Robin