[Ads-l] "old boy" = the devil, 1692; antedates OED3 [1737], 1782

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Thu Sep 15 23:52:40 UTC 2016

Hugo,

Thanks for the manuscript image.  Today it must be held by the Massachusetts Archives, at a site that is in an area hard to get to and in a collection that is time-consuming to work with. The only other holders of images perhaps are in Utah -- Family Search or BYU.

The 1892 book is a bit later than my 1867 source, and is essentially the same text.  Both are sufficiently accurate transcriptions of the manuscript (& vs. and, ye vs. the, etc.)..
The date Abigaille was examined (or tried) is not necessarily the date Lidia was deposed.  Looking at records of this case (in the 1867 transcription in Google Books), before and after Lidia's deposition, one can see dates both before and after that deposition.  Unfortunately, there is no date on the manuscript scrap or the transcriptions specifically for Lidia's deposition.  (It is presumably not after Abigaille's trial date in September, but it is possibly before Abigaille's examination on June 29.)

Joel
      From: Hugo <hugovk at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:53 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "old boy" = the devil, 1692; antedates OED3 [1737], 1782

This looks like a picture of the original manuscript:

http://salem.lib.virginia.edu/texts/tei/swp?term=Abigail%20How&div_id=n69.5&chapter_id=n69

http://salem.lib.virginia.edu/archives/ecca/medium/ecca1157r.jpg

This 1892 book precedes this testimony with:

---
Abigail was examined before the magistrates on June 29. At her trial
in September, the following testimony was given:-
---

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=chi.12794499;view=1up;seq=247

Hugo