[Ads-l] Where are the PC police?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Sep 18 01:31:09 UTC 2016

I have a feeling it was actually that very thread that started me off thinking
about the business.  Halliwell-Philips in 1849 isn't the earliest -- there's an
earlier Scots version, and may be others -- but most of the
this-side-of-the-Atlantic discussion in the rest of the nineteenth century
refers back to him.

The American version, oddly enough, emerges in exactly the same year, so they're
almost certainly independent versions of a common folk original somewhere that
predates them both, despite the substantial similarity between H-P and America.
I could dig out the Arne-Thomson number of the motif if anyone's interested.

But the two versions seem to develop completely independently.

I'll dive back into my notes and see what I found as the earliest, Garson.  If
you have an earlier, or indeed anything before 1849, I'd be interested.

<<  The earliest version recorded in the British Isles was in Scots, by Robert
Chambers. Chambers (1802-1871), a noted Scottish author and printer, published
his first collection of Scottish folk material in 1826, as _Popular Rhymes of
Scotland_, “chiefly collected from oral sources.” It was in the second edition
of this, first published in 1842, that the story of the Sky Falling first
appeared. In this version, the chicken is absent, and the narrative begins with
a pea falling on the head of Henny-Penny:

“A hen picking at a pease-stack, a pea fell on her head, and she thought the
lifts were faun. And she thought she would go and tell the king about it. And
she gaed, and gaed, and gaed ...”   >>

I haven't rechecked that, simply carved it straight out of my notes, and it may
anyway have been lifted from the 2010 ADS-l thread, though I like to think I'd
have flagged it if so.

But it was all so long ago.

I'll check out the thread you cited, Garson.  Thanks.

Robin