[Ads-l] Wilbur the pig

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sun Sep 18 18:25:13 UTC 2016

Any relation to E. B. White's Wilbur of Charlotte's Web?

Joel

      From: Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2016 10:31 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Where are the PC police?

Only two things of substance I'd want to add.  One is that, as part of the
British line of development, there's a lovely short novel called _The Conceited
Pig_ published anonymously (circa 1848).  This can be found (among other places)
here (with further details below my sig.):

    http://digital.nls.uk/early-gaelic-book-collections/pageturner.cfm?id=78655893&mode=transcription
http://digital.nls.uk/early-gaelic-book-collections/pageturner.cfm?id=78655893&mode=transcription

This is well worth reading (it's actually to my mind rather funny) and, as is
characteristic of the British line of development, much less moralistic than
Chandler.

Robin.
________________

          On a Conceited Pig called Wilbur:

<<  Chambers’ 1842 version was reprinted as part of his collected works in 1847,
and again in 1870. As early as the late 1840s, less than six years after its
first appearance, the narrative was adapted and expanded as _The Conceited Pig_ (pre-1848?), which introduced a pig named Wilbur [emphasis added]. The anonymous author continued with _Miss Peck’s Adventures_ (London, 1848), featuring a sour and spinsterish hen named Miss Peck.

NOTE:  _The Conceited Pig_ (London, 1852) – Probably pre-1848. While this is
the earliest text I’ve been able to see, there are several books listed by
Worldcat as published in 1848, including an edition of _Miss Peck’s Adventures_,
which read, “by the author of The Conceited Pig.”]

In an advert in Rev. W.B.Flower, _Try Again_ (1848), _Miss Peck’s Adventures_ is described as in preparation, and about to be issued, so _The Conceited Pig_ was almost certainly printed before 1848.

The novelist Charlotte E. Yonge commented approvingly on this tale, comparing it
favourably to Halliwell’s version and suggested that it was developed from the
Scottish version provided by Chambers.  >>