[Ads-l] Where are the PC police?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Sep 18 22:42:47 UTC 2016

No need to fear for your reputation, Bill.  You were indeed correct the first
time (at least according to Katherine Briggs), since the text in question can be
located as both TYPE and MOTIF.

Briggs gives, for Chicken Licken (a.k.a. Little):

   TYPE:  2033  [as you said in your previous post]

   MOTIF: Z.43.3 - nut hits cock on head; Armageddon!

   MOTIF: Z.53 - animals with funny names

With regard to the Henny-Penny variant, she adds:

   TYPES:  2033, 2010 I A, 20.c

   MOTIFS: Z.43.3 and Z 53 [as above]

   MOTIF: J.1810 - physical phenomena misunderstood [as you note in your post
below]

   MOTIF:  B.269 - animal go on a journey

So the text can be flagged as *both* TYPE 2033 (as you said in your previous
email) *and* MOTIF J1810 (as you say below).

Ashliman, in parallel but more narrowly,  flags it as a folktale "of
Aarne-Thompson-Uther type 20C (including former type 2033)", for what that
further information is worth.

Robin