[Ads-l] Puddin=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99_?=Tame or Pudding Tane

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 19 23:48:35 UTC 2016

Puddin N' Tain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRzWThoV564#identifier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3fBI0RPmpY

The pronunciation used here,

"p[U]dnin tain"

is close to universal in BE. It's the pronunciation that's used by every
black person that I've heard say this, a less-than-minuscule number of
people, compared to the total black population, admittedly, but y'all gnome
sane. It's used by Texans, Alabamians, Pennsylvanians, Californians,
Illinoisans, Mississippians, etc. Of course, a very large percentage of
black Northerners are, like me, originally Southerners.

Besides, it conforms to a version that I once came across in a volume of
19th-C. nursery-rhyme-y stuff that I once flipped through in Widener
Library that, so far, has not made it into Google, sadly:

"Putting and ta'en"

There's a neo-blaxploitation movie titled "Pootie Tang." There's probably
not a connection, but...

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson