[Ads-l] Puddin=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99_?=Tame or Pudding Tane

Ann Burlingham ann at BURLINGHAMBOOKS.COM
Sat Sep 24 15:27:15 UTC 2016

My father here in western NY (B. 1911, lived many places) definitely said
"Puddin' Tain" when he repeated the lines to me. He was very white. I'd
never heard this version or the songs. Thanks.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Puddin=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99_?=Tame or Pudding Tane
> -------------------
>
> Puddin N' Tain
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRzWThoV564#identifier
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3fBI0RPmpY
>

> The pronunciation used here,
>
> "p[U]dnin tain"
>
> is close to universal in BE. It's the pronunciation that's used by every
> black person that I've heard say this, a less-than-minuscule number of
> people, compared to the total black population, admittedly, but y'all gnome
> sane. It's used by Texans, Alabamians, Pennsylvanians, Californians,
> Illinoisans, Mississippians, etc. Of course, a very large percentage of
> black Northerners are, like me, originally Southerners.
>
> Besides, it conforms to a version that I once came across in a volume of
> 19th-C. nursery-rhyme-y stuff that I once flipped through in Widener
> Library that, so far, has not made it into Google, sadly:
>
> "Putting and ta'en"
>
> There's a neo-blaxploitation movie titled "Pootie Tang." There's probably
> not a connection, but...
>
> Youneverknow.
> --
> -Wilson