[Ads-l] "Rearranging Their Prejudices" Quote

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 20 15:58:18 UTC 2016

In the Yale Book of Quotations, 1st edition, I list the following quotation under Knute Rockne:

Most men, when they think they are thinking, are merely rearranging their prejudices.

Quoted in Reader's Digest, Oct. 1927

While working on the 2nd edition of the YBQ, I have realized that this quote was undoubtedly around before Rockne.  I would welcome any citations or leads pushing it back in time.  Probably "rearranging their prejudices", "rearrange their prejudices", "rearranging his prejudices," etc. are the key phrases to search for.

Fred Shapiro