[Ads-l] Request details of citation in Boston Daily Journal in 1865

Mon Aug 14 22:29:02 UTC 2017

JL: Thank you very much for renewing your password and accessing the
database. It's disappointing that the database holdings were so small
for the Boston Daily Journal. I will let Dennis Lien know that the
thoughtful lead he shared did not quite work out.

Dennis also pointed to another database. I wonder if Readex has
expanded since the description was written.

[Begin excerpt]
The BOSTON JOURNAL is also available as part of Series 5 of the Readex
project EARLY AMERICAN NEWSPAPERS, but unfortunately the holdings
there start with January 1, 1866, so too late for your citation

http://www.readex.com/content/early-american-newspapers-series
http://titlelist.readex.com/source/servlet/index.html?operation=Early%20American%20Newspapers

Early American Newspapers, Series 5, 1777-1922: An Emerging World Power
Late 19th- and Early 20th-Century Newspapers
[End excerpt]

Garson

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Garson, the database American History 1493-1945 appears to have only a
> single issue of the Boston [Daily] Journal. Very unfortunately, it's the
> issue for Wednesday. May 11, 1864.
>
> A search shows nothing resembling the needed passage.
>
> JL
>
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Garson, I have access, but it looks as though I'll have to renew my
>> password - in person.
>>
>> Maybe I can do it this afternoon.
>>
>> JL
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 9:19 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
>> adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently, the Boston Daily Journal in April 1865 is available in a
>>> database that is part of the Adam Matthew Digital collections. The
>>> database is called:
>>>
>>> American History: 1493-1945 The Gilder Lehrman Collection
>>>
>>> This information is courtesy of former librarian Dennis Lien. If your
>>> organization has access to this database and you wish to help please
>>> let me know off-list or on-list.
>>>
>>> Stephen raises some valuable questions. I haven't tried to identify E. K.
>>>
>>> Garson

>>> and why, if he interviewed Lincoln in July 1864, he or she waited until
>>> April 1865 to write about it. Some later reprintings of the quote call E.
>>> K. a correspondent or, without evidence, a "newspaperman." But a reporter
>>> would likely have already reported an interview, and might have used his
>>> full name. Though there are so many biographies of Lincoln, a quick search
>>> suggests that none have identified E. K., which may be possible. (I did not
>>> find the original newspaper online.) From Massachusetts? A politician? A
>>> minister? Visitor to the White House?...

>>> adHHcJ7pjul6iFkS5Pd--8&m=A-9jPdp0K2iQNBw0Y0H9EhKSnPAeezJ9YGp
>>> D66JDLxg&s=ca__bTK08DJs9TSB0hEX2fq9yNIbots648R2qUAu7vM&e=
>>> s://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.
>>> com_YAppelbaum_status_882564306239451137&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF2
>>> 5OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=uUVa-8oDL2EzfbuMuowoU
>>> adHHcJ7pjul6iFkS5Pd--8&m=A-9jPdp0K2iQNBw0Y0H9EhKSnPAeezJ9YGp
>>> D66JDLxg&s=ca__bTK08DJs9TSB0hEX2fq9yNIbots648R2qUAu7vM&e=>

>>> ofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_YAppelbaum_status
>>> _882564306239451137&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i
>>> 6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=uUVa-8oDL2EzfbuMuowoUadHHcJ7pjul6iFkS5Pd--
>>> 8&m=A-9jPdp0K2iQNBw0Y0H9EhKSnPAeezJ9YGpD66JDLxg&s=ca__bTK08D
>>> Js9TSB0hEX2fq9yNIbots648R2qUAu7vM&e=>
>>> The original ran in the Boston Daily Journal, April 17, signed “E.K."”

>>> americandialect.org&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i
>>> 6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=uUVa-8oDL2EzfbuMuowoUadHHcJ7pjul6iFkS5Pd--
>>> 8&m=A-9jPdp0K2iQNBw0Y0H9EhKSnPAeezJ9YGpD66JDLxg&s=vlj2ICAKMA