[Ads-l] Quote: The face of Venus, the figure of Juno, the brains of Minerva, the memory of Macaulay=?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=A6_?=the hide of a rhinoceros

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Wed Aug 30 21:35:15 UTC 2017

Slightly earlier in print:

_New York Times_  28 Mar 1900, p 6 col 6

"The aspirants for histrionic honors received from Mrs. Kendal a recipe for the making of an actress in her first words:
"I received a letter from a young woman the other day," she said, "asking if I would tell her the qualifications for an actress. 'It is the easiest thing in the world,' I wrote back. 'You must be a marvel of patience, have the figure of a Greek statue, the temper of an angel, (that is very necessary,) the face of a god, and the skin of a rhinoceros.' " "

_New York Morning Telegraph_ 28 Mar 1900, p 7 col 5

"A young girl wrote to me not long since, asking me what were the requirements of an actress who would succeed. I replied that she must have the imagination of a poet, the strength of a horse, the figure of a Greek statue, the temper of an angel, the face of a goddess, and the skin of a rhinoceros."

And a later variant:

_Motion Picture Herald_ 28 Feb 1948 p 45 col 2

"QUALIFICATIONS FOR
A THEATRE MANAGER

The Personality of a Prime Minister
The Business Acumen of a Store Manager
The Dignity of an Archbishop
The Geniality of a Super-Comedian
The Tact of a Schoolmaster
The Hope of a Company Promoter
The Benevolence of a Charitable Institution
The Eloquence of a Cabinet Minister
The Cheek of a Parliamentary Candidate
The Elastic Conscience of a Member of Parliament
The Knowledge of an Encyclopedia
The Legal Knowledge of a Lawyer
The Sporting Knowledge of the Racing Form
The Smile of a Film Star
The Voice of a Sergeant Major
The Skin of a Rhinoceros

W. F. Foster, Manager,