[Ads-l] Quote: The face of Venus, the figure of Juno, the brains of Minerva, the memory of Macaulay=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=A6_?=the hide of a rhinoceros

Wed Aug 30 17:24:29 UTC 2017

Excellent. Thanks, Bill. You found another great precursor. Here is an
instance of the same quotation a few months earlier in "The Saturday
Evening Post". I will update the entry and acknowledge you.

[ref] 1919 August 30, The Saturday Evening Post, Volume 192, Number
9,The Beginner on the Stage by David Belasco, Start Page 29, Quote
Page 29, Column 1, The Curtis Publishing Company, Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=r3s4AQAAMAAJ&q=rhinoceros#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Of all the questions about the stage which are put to me—and if I had
a dollar for each of them I could, all by myself, found and endow a
national theater—those by far the most frequently asked are: "What is
most necessary in order to become an actress?" and "How shall I
begin?"

"To the first of those questions I am sometimes tempted to answer,
after the manner of a great English player: "To possess the face and
figure of a Greek goddess, the voice of an angel, the temper of a
dove, the disposition of a saint, the energy of a dynamo, the
digestion of an ostrich, the strength of an elephant and the hide of a
rhinoceros!"
[End excerpt]

Garson