[Ads-l] Fwd: _Dipsticking_ aquifers from space

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 4 19:06:35 UTC 2017

The headline only, so it appears to be the blog post's author Patrick
Marshall coinage, or at least, new to me:

https://gcn.com/blogs/emerging-tech/2017/12/satellite-aquifer-levels.aspx
<https://gcn.com/blogs/emerging-tech/2017/12/satellite-aquifer-levels.aspx?s=gcntech_041217&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWXpjeFl6RTJZV0poWkdJdyIsInQiOiJMdEVQd0psWFEwZ0FiRE5mbnN1cW9RUHc2SVFnYjN1bkVPWWZ5ZWNHcEZ0OEt3Zzc2RTZDTDFBXC8zaEtxRjBCS3crTkpSNkxmdmhDSDhZUzBlMWZhZ1BlOUQ5c1wveFAxaUIweFE0dXZOUFo5ODBBcUgzdktNRFNaNmpqYndGcVZQIn0%3D>

Researchers at the University of Buffalo have found a way to monitor
groundwater by using satellites to measure the “breathing” of the earth as
water is added to or drawn from underground aquifers.

Apart from a couple of impolite definitions at the Urban Dictionary, I find
it is often used for
"taking random samples or randomly choosing people to question."

http://normanteigen.blogspot.com/2007/11/what-is-dipsticking.html

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell