[Ads-l] "Drop" becoming confusing

Will Salmon wnsalmon at D.UMN.EDU
Fri Dec 15 21:19:41 UTC 2017

When I was teaching sociolinguistics in Vancouver a few years ago, I assigned a project in which students were to investigate yod-dropping in the community in words like tune/tyune, news/nyews, etc.

Some of the students interpreted the assignment so that "yod-dropping" meant dropping yod into the various words, resulting in tyune/nyews etc., rather than dropping yod out of them.

Sent from my iPhone