[Ads-l] Arrabeller

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 15 19:00:46 UTC 2017

There were seven Arabellers, with that spelling, in the 1880 US census - three of them born in Georgia.

And if Arabeller is a woman's name, couldn't she have married an Anglin?

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:45 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Arrabeller

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>

There seem to have been a hell of a lot of Anglins in Georgia back then.
The only Arabella Anglin shows up in the 1870 & 1880 census of Big Creek,
Forsyth, Georgia, but she was born in 1869.

GAT

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 9:08 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The Science Channel's "What on Earth" series briefly shows a gravestone in
> rural Georgia with the name "Arrabeller E. Anglin."
>
> Arrabeller was born in 1855, but the camera cut away without showing the
> year of her death.
>
> See, the gravestone was located in the middle of an airport runway for many
> years. Until one day....
>
> JL
>

> --

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- affectionately (of course) known as The Dunghill
Toadstool.
(Here's a picture of one.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851