[Ads-l] Famous Pogo Quote

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri Feb 17 05:18:00 UTC 2017

>     On 16 February 2017 at 21:24 Jeff Prucher
> <000000b93183dc86-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> wrote:
>

>     > As a result, I have bought Pogo by Walt Kelly: Through the Wild Blue
>     > Yonder. The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, volume 1. The quotation is
>     > there, on p. 131, in a strip dated 6-24 [1950] It's spoken by Porkypine.
>     > The strip began in May 1949, so there's only a narrow window for an
>     > earlier
>     > appearance.
>
>     It first ran exclusively in the New York Star, from October 1948-January
> 1949, and before that in a variety of titles from Dell Comics. I _think_ the
> Star comics were reprinted in Fantagraphics' earlier attempt at reprinting
> Pogo, the 1992 "Pogo Vol. 1", but it's hard to tell without seeing it.
>
>     Jeff Prucher

The first strip reprinted in Fantagraphics1 is dated Oct 4 1948.  Pogo and
friends had earlier appeared in _Animal Comics_, so Oct 4 marks the first
appearance of Pogo in the _Star_ as a newspaper strip.  Pogo ran in the _Star_
for four months from till January 1948, then [after an hiatus] from May 1949 as
a syndicated strip.  The entire run of the _Star_ strips is reprinted in
Fantagraphics1].

Fanatagraphics2 (Vol. 1 -- _Beyond the Wild Blue Yonder_), which George
referenced earlier begins with the syndicated strips, and omits the earlier
_Star_ strips.

The pre-strip comics are reprinted (in color -- I advisedly use the American
spelling) in several volumes by Eclipse Books in 1989 ff., beginning with
"Albert Takes the Cake" (December, 1942).

It's cheaper (and more fun) to accumulate Pogo texts by buying second-hand
copies of the original reprints of the strips.  _Pogo_ (Simon and Schuster, New
York, 1951) was, I think, the first to be published.

All this makes it more understandable as to why the Turnip wants to "Drain the
Swamp" -- Kelly was one of the first to take on Senator Joe, way before it was
safe to do so.  I suppose it was only a matter of time before "un-American",
linked sleeper cells in the civil service, appeared in the limited locutions of
the current POTUS.  Not so much Weimar Germany as Fifties America.  Walt Kelley
is prolly laughing in his grave.

If George's role-model was Albert the Alligator, mine was Porky Pine (an avatar
of Eeyore in _Winnie the Pooh_).

       Robin

("We have met the enemy, and he is us.")