[Ads-l] Pronunciation

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 27 22:14:58 UTC 2017

Larry, isn't something missing in the second line of your transcription -- what did the little girl have right in the middle of her fahrid?  A hole?  Which is my faint memory, but but doesn't rhyme well enough for my taste.  Or a curl?  Which rhymes a bit better.  Or ...?

Joel

      From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 3:30 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Pronunciation

I grew up saying “far-head”, which I later realized was a spelling pronunciation (sort of like “victuals” as VIK-chewals or “waistcoat” as…waist-coat).  Probably a key factor in this realization was the rhyme (from the Child’s Garden of Verses?):

There was a little girl
Who had a little
Right in the middle of her forehead
When she was good
She was very very good
But when she bad she was horrid

(Not “...she was hoar-head”, or worse)

So then I relearned it as /'far at d/ (i.e. “fahrid" like Jon) and then again (when I switched the vowels in the relevant class of <or> words--“corridor”, “forest”, “orange”, “moral”, “horrid", etc.--from /a/ to /O/) relearned it as /‘fOr at d/ with open o. Now I’m not sure what I say—fahrid, fourid, or fore-head, or any and all of them randomly.

LH