[Ads-l] thoughts on this idea? variant pronunciations in a dictionary receive individual etymologies

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 8 10:31:25 UTC 2017

Thanks Tim and good luck with your pronunciation project on blend words.

Phonetics Needs Improvement

Your project highlights the fact that US English is in desperate need of a simplified but accurate pronunciation guide.  This I have provided in 1986 called truespel phonetics.   It's free on the internet with tutorials, a two-way converter, and phonic/phonetic analyses of US English.  Otherwise the VOA provides the "official?" Us English pronunciation guide (being an official US government publication) .  See <http://justpaste.it/voaspel> https://justpaste.it/voaspel    M-w.com is OK but it's off on the voiced "awe" sound and it's notation unlike truespel uses special symbols

Answers to questions

1.  Yes - show blend word segment pronunciation and ety

2. The IPA was a good idea in 1888, but English must be the model for phoneme spellings now.  Truespel phonetics is so easy it can be learned in an hour and is "writable" using standard punctuation, capitalization and no special symbols.  http://truespel.com

Phonetic Eval

"BUDDHAGAN" is not in m-w.com.  You write -

          BUDDHAGAN. noun. \'bu-dE-gEn\ [BUDDHA + paGAN] or \bu-`da-gEn\ [BUDDHa
          + pAGAN] A person who identifies with aspects of Buddhism and paganism.
Using truespel (~) I assume -
  \'bu-dE-gEn\ = ~Buedigin      (where first syl is stressed, ~ue is as in "true", and ~i is as in "pin".)

 \bu-`da-gEn\ = ~Bueddaegin  (where ~ddae is stressed "DAY")

Other Comments

1.  Is the "b" in BUDDHAGAN supposed to be capitalized.  By using all caps I can't tell.

2.  Why make up a notation when standard truespel or even VOAspel is available for reverence.

3.  Truespel spells out all "schwas" so you know how to say them.  They can be  various short vowel sounds.  It's superior to IPA in this regard.

Good luck.  Let me know if I can help.   PS the VOA has a truespel dictionary at authorhouse.com

Tom Zurinskas,
Originally SWConn 20 yrs,  college Tenn 3,  work NJ  33,  now FL 14.
truespel phonetics free converter and  tutorials - http://truespel.com