[Ads-l] 1868 Disraeli-attributed quotation: "...My ancestors were lords of the tabernacle...his were naked savages...."

Mon Jan 9 19:51:35 UTC 2017

Fascinating citation, Stephen.

I've been tracking another version of the historical comparison schema
attributed to Disraeli. There is a footnoted passage in a 1983
biography that claims Disraeli wrote a version in his work "Contarini
Fleming".

Disraeli supposedly wrote the phrase "the inhabitants of England were
going half-naked and eating acorns in their woods". But I think this
assertion is probably incorrect. I have not found this excerpt in
"Contarini Fleming".  Instead, the pertinent text actually appeared in
an 1880 biography of Disraeli by Georg Brandes (in translation). See
the two citations below.

[ref] 1983, Disraeli by Sarah Bradford, Chapter 1: The Byronic Youth,
Quote Page 2, Stein and Day, New York. (Verified with scans)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Yet he felt himself innately superior, an aristocrat by instinct; the
only way in which he could face up to and enter the world of politics
and power for which he longed and for which he felt himself destined
was by glorying in his ancient lineage as a Jew. He was to describe
his situation in one of his early novels, Contarini Fleming:

Was then this mixed population of Saxons and Normans, among whom he
had first seen the light, of purer blood than he? Oh no, he was
descended in a direct line from one of the oldest races in the world,
from that rigidly separate and unmixed Bedouin race who had developed
a high civilization at a time when the inhabitants of England were
going half-naked and eating acorns in their woods.  2
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
Footnote 2: Contarini Fleming, Pt. I, ch. ii
[End excerpt]

Below is the citation for the 1880 biography with the phrase "half
naked, and eating acorns in their woods".

Year: 1880
Title: Lord Beaconsfield: A Study