[Ads-l] LGBTQOI?

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Mon Jan 30 15:34:03 UTC 2017

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 21:56:28 Zone - 0500 Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
<quote>
See Arnold Zwicky's post, based on a 2010 discussion here on ADS-L:

https://arnoldzwicky.org/2011/01/23/the-alphabet-soup-of-sexuality-and-gender/

As Arnold explains, if there's one Q, it's for "queer," and if there's a
second one, it's for "questioning." The I is "intersex." So you likely saw
the initialism LGBTQQI, not LGBTQOI.

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 6:57 PM, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com>
wrote:

> I still have not figured out what the "Q" in "LGBTQ" stands for.
>
> Then, today, I saw a poster for an LGBTQOI support center.
>
> Huh?
</quote>

Per the following Web site:
   https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stockton-s-women-s-gender-sexuality-center--2#
the correct wording (lettering?) is "LBTGQIA".  I was buying a ticket at the Stockton University box office at the time and got only a quick glance at the poster.

This Web site however does not explain what the acronym stands for.

From the same Web site:
<quote>
We are fundraising to help the Stockton University's Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Center create a better equipped environment for pregnant and nursing women, sexual assault victims, and members of the LGBTQIA community.
</quote>

A different Stockton Web site uses "LGBTQ+" to mean Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Queer and Questioning

- Jim Landau

Off-topic:  Stockton University (per https://intraweb.stockton.edu/eyos/page.cfm?siteID=258&pageID=45)
offers the following acronyms:

 CLAWS   Collaborative Learning Advocates of Wellness at Stockton
 EDIBL   Environmental Discourses on the Ingestion of Bugs League
 FEMALES Focused Educated Motivated Aspiring Ladies Empowering Society
 MALES   Men Achieving Leadership Excellence & Success
 OGRE    Order of Greco Roman Enthusiasts
 STAND   Stockton Take Action Now: Darfur