[Ads-l] LGBTQOI?

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 30 16:02:43 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 10:34 AM, James A. Landau wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 21:56:28 Zone - 0500 Ben Zimmer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 6:57 PM, James A. Landau wrote:
> > >
> > > I still have not figured out what the "Q" in "LGBTQ" stands for.
> > >
> > > Then, today, I saw a poster for an LGBTQOI support center.
> > >
> > > Huh?
> >
> > See Arnold Zwicky's post, based on a 2010 discussion here on ADS-L:
> >
> > https://arnoldzwicky.org/2011/01/23/the-alphabet-soup-of-sexuality-and-gender/
> >
> > As Arnold explains, if there's one Q, it's for "queer," and if there's a
> > second one, it's for "questioning." The I is "intersex." So you likely saw
> > the initialism LGBTQQI, not LGBTQOI.
>
> Per the following Web site:
> https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stockton-s-women-s-gender-sexuality-center--2
> the correct wording (lettering?) is "LBTGQIA".  I was buying a ticket at the Stockton
> University box office at the time and got only a quick glance at the poster.
>
> This Web site however does not explain what the acronym stands for.

The A typically stands for "asexual/agender," though Arnold notes it
can also stand for "allies." In any case, adding the A allows for the
alternative acronym QUILTBAG, which we've discussed in the past.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2014-August/133644.html
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2016-January/140344.html

See Arnold's SemFest 12 handout for more.

http://www.stanford.edu/~zwicky/SemFest12.pdf

--bgz